Here is the bike all put back together after completing Phase 1 of the build. There are still many things that need to be done which we’ll save for Phase 2. This leaves some time to enjoy a completed bike while we collect the parts for Phase 2 instead of leaving it as a torn-down frame like some of our other never-ending projects.
It’s been exactly one year since the last update of our 1098s Tricolore Project and I never got around to finish up Phase 1 of the build so it’s a good time to do so before we start on Phase 2 this summer.
The last piece to go on before the carbon bodywork came back from the body shop were the Ducati Corse Rear Sets. These aren’t the standard Ducati Performance ones but rather the Ducati Corse version with folding pegs which are a great advantage in a laydown or just moving the bike around.
After 5 separate sessions in the paint booth and over 10 coats of clear all the Ducati Performance carbon pieces were back from the body shop. The Ducati Performance factory aftermarket parts are outsourced to other manufacturers in Italy and are absolute crap compared to parts that come directly from the factory. The Italians don’t seem to have the same sense of quality control as car manufactures when it comes to outsourcing oem aftermarket parts so all the parts needed to be sanded down and refinished. As with all dry carbon parts, the clear will sink and pinhole into the weaves so each coat needs to be applied thick and then sanded back down to the carbon so clearcoat weight isn’t added on layer after layer. In the end, the finish is probably about 3 coats thick of UV resistant clear-coat to prevent yellowing of the carbon material.
The first Ducati Performance belly pan that was received was a 2-piece design with terrible fitment so I opted to get the 1098R factory made carbon belly pan instead which is a one piece design with factory fitment.
It’s been a while since I’ve posted an updated on the Tricolore build but things are coming together nicely. With the bodywork still off the under-bodywork frame sliders were installed.
The left side needed to be slightly modified to fit around the Ducati Performance Coolant Hoses but it’s hardly noticeable once installed.
The first piece of dry carbon bodywork also went on.
While the clutch fluid had to be drained for the Brembo RCS Master Cylinder, the Ducati Performance Clutch Slave Cylinder was also installed to change the piston diameter in order to reduce the pressure required for engagement. The downside is less clutch feel but it’s well worth it after a few minutes in traffic. While the OEM front sprocket cover was off, a new one went back on. How can you resist anything that says “Ducati Peformance Titanium”, completely useless but simply awesome.
Taken from MotoGP technology the RCS master cylinders feature a lever that radially applies pressure to the piston for a better feel and eliminate friction between linkages. They also offer the ability to adjust the ratio pivot distance for different brake feel. The levers requires some custom brackets to be made for the reservoirs and changed the lock-to-lock distance of the steering but it’s well worth the sacrifice.
I managed to get my hands on a set of Pirelli Rosso Corsa Tires from the first batch available in the US. These were announced at the EICMA show recently and just released to the US market. They replace the popular Diablo Corsa III and feature a 3-compound rear tire for good all-around street performance.
To keep with the All-Ducati Performance Parts theme I wanted to go with the Ducati Performance LED turn signals but mount them behind the vents like the Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator. The Competition Werkes kit was used as a starting point and after some cutting and fabbing brackets, they mount right behind the rear vents for a stealth look.
After installing the new coolants lines, the cooling system was replaced with some engine ice and some new engine oil while I was at it.
Ducati’s tend to run on the hot side so replacing coolants hoses some with aluminum and silicone aids in heat dissipation and increased durability.
The exhaust piping came very unfinished in typical Italian style so they needed a good cleaning.
After a coming back from polishers.
With all the parts collected it was time to tear down the bike for a complete build-up.
One hour later…
Tricolore 1098s models come standard with the Termignoni 70mm Full Race System, ECU, and Air Filter or as an option for the other 1098 models. Ducati claims an 8% (~12hp) increase in performance so we decided to put it to the test.
The bike ended up producing 151hp / 85lb-ft with a very flat torque curve, impressive. Unfortunately we don’t have baseline numbers to compare this to but later that day on the same dyno an 1198s was put down 146hp. Considering the 1198s is rated 170hp vs. the 1098s rating of 160hp and doing the math, there’s roughly a 15hp difference. This may be one of those rare occasions when an aftermarket manufacturer’s power rating is tested to be accurate!